In Howard County, the School Health Council has been around for more than 20 years. What is it and what does it do?
- It is a state-mandated local advisory committee to the health department and the school system.
- It is led by members from the community.
- It reports each year to the Superintendent, the Health Officer, the Board of Health, and the Board of Education.
- It has members from the school system, health department, parent/teacher council, student council, and community.
- It supports broad system level change for healthy, well, fit, and safe youth who are in turn able to learn.
- It acts collectively to (a) identify needs, (b) review programs and policies, and (c) generate recommendations.
- It provides a forum for the community to learn about school health and wellness initiatives and provide input.
- It provides annual feedback to the Board of Education on the implementation of Wellness Policy 9090.
- It obtains grant funding to support community/student health improvement goals.